Monday, December 3, 2007

Christina: that is the biggest problem with traveling in boots


Now that the hecticosity (don't blame me; I just read the latest Georgia Nicholson installment) of November is over I'm getting very excited and planning out my trip to Belfast. I'm doing all kinds of things that I would never bother to do to be prepared on an epic summer long trip, like checking the weather, seeing which underground train time will get me into liverpool street in time to catch which stansted express, booking my hostel and thinking about tours. I'd never do this normally, mostly because I'm lazy but also because I like to be spontaneous, but the two often tie in so well together. On the other hand, I only have two and a half days in Belfast and I want to make the most of them.

So: staying at Arnie's, taking a day trip up to see Giant's Causeway and possibly a black cab tour of the peace wall because it seems it is not to be missed, Ulster museum, university, botanic gardens and probably much more. I wonder what kind of fellow travellers I will meet in the dead of winter. It's supposed to rain the entire time, so I'm going to take my boots even thought they are such a pain at airports. I'm going to try carrying on, in spite of Ryanair's notoriously stingy luggage policy. I'm also going to try and spend as little money as possible without missing out on anything essential. I'll let you know how it goes.

My biggest problem so far is my guidebook. I bought this one because, well, it's the only one. My affair with Lonely Planet has been so... monogamous that I can't actually get used to the format of another guidebook.

No comments: