Friday, July 9, 2010

Stoke newington hippies stike again

Just back from the pet store, where I bought a cat scratcher with *organic* catnip. I suppose they think they can get away with it, but who am I kidding, of course they can. I would rather have the one I bought last time for £3 less but it's a scratcher that lasts months so I wasn't going to quibble over it.

I was after a compostable cat litter, and wasn't planning on being too picky, but I was amazed at the wide selection of "bio" cat litter they had. Tonks is not so picky, but I finally decided I was maybe asking a bit much of him using plain newspaper when he woke me up at 4 am to let him outside for the toilet. I'm planning on still layering the litter I bought with newspaper on the bottom to make it last longer, we'll see how it works.

But back to the litter -- at least three difference kinds purporting to be ecologically friendly, in paper bags. I bought Clean & Green, the kind with the most detail about *why* it was ecologically friendly (made from poplar trees planted just for cat litter, which suck carbon dioxide from the air while they're growing, and a no-emissions manufacturing process. Supposedly). It wasn't the cheapest -- about £8 for 2.5 kilos and the other ones were that much for more litter, but I don't mind paying a bit more, I guess, since I don't expect to use a lot (haven't bought cat litter since January; we've been on the newspaper experiment since running out.) Also it was lighter to carry home.

Hmm, I've just done some research and it turns out the cat litter is made by Almo Nature, a company that makes really posh all natural pet food. Food in which the main ingredient is chicken! I got some samples once, and Tonks loved it (it was wet food), but I figured it would cost about £3 a day to feed him, which is almost how much I spend on food for myself, so... no.

No comments: